Army Board Indicts 92 Officers

0
1
[R-L] Major General Adeniyi Oyebade, submitting the report to the Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusuf Buratai

– 

THE Board of Inquiry which investigated allegations of misconduct of some military officers during the 2015 elections in Ekiti and Osun states has indicted 92 officers. The board of inquiry recommended the compulsory retirement of two officers, three officers to lose their command and one to face prosecution for corruption.

The board further recommended the placing of 15 officers on watch list, nine officers were to be further investigated by the Economic and Financial Crime Commission, EFCC, on allegation of corruption against. In the same vein, the panel said six officers should face an audit committee and 62 officers, mostly of the rank of majors and below, were asked to be given letters of displeasure and to appear before their respective General Officers Commanding for counselling.

The board also recommended that three officers should be given letters of commendations for their top-notch professional conducts during the election.

The statement did not disclose the names of the affected soldiers and officers.

The recommendations were contained in a statement released by Sani Usman, a colonel and acting director of Army Public Relation, on the recommendations of a board of inquiry into allegations of unprofessional conducts by some officers and soldiers during the governorship elections in Ekiti and Osun states.

A cross section of some Nigerian Army officers at the presentation of the report
A cross section of some Nigerian Army officers at the presentation of the report

Submitting the report on Monday, January 11, Adeniyi Oyebade, a major-general and chairman of the board, said that the panel placed advertorials in the media requesting for memoranda from the public before they commenced sitting. Oyebade who is the General Officer Commanding 1 Division Nigerian Army, stated that 23 officers and more than 100 soldiers appeared before it as well as 62 civilians.

The Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusuf Buratai making remarks after receiving the report
The Chief of Army Staff, Lieutenant General Tukur Yusuf Buratai making remarks after receiving the report

Tukur Buratai, a lieutenant-general and chief of Army Staff, thanked the board for doing “a thorough and dispassionate job,” which he said was devoid of external influence.

Buratai assured the board that the report would be reviewed in accordance with Nigerian Army’s legal and administrative procedures.

The Report
The Report

He, however, enjoined members of the board to share the knowledge acquired in the course of their assignment with their colleagues for the benefit of the Nigerian Army and the nation. He further reiterated assurances that the Nigerian Army would continue to remain professional and apolitical in the discharge of its responsibilities.

The inquiry was prompted by petitions and allegations of unprofessional and partisan conducts of some officers and soldiers of the Nigerian Army during the 2015 General elections, Ekiti and Osun states gubernatorial elections last year.

— Jan 12, 2016 @ 12:50 GMT

|

(Visited 12 times, 1 visits today)
Loading...