THE Gombe State Government has said no fewer than 10 deaths have been recorded, following an outbreak of cholera in five local government areas of the state.
The Executive Secretary of the State Primary Health Care Development Agency (SPHCDA), Dr Abdulrahman Shuaibu, disclosed this on Thursday while giving an update to newsmen on the outbreak of the disease in the state.
He said the incidents were recorded in eight wards of Balanga, Funakaye, Gombe, Nafada and Yamaltu/Deba Local Government Areas of the state.
He said as of September 20, 2022, the number of cholera cases had increased to 236, adding that in 2021, a total of 2,373 cases were recorded in three outbreaks within that year.
According to him, from June 2022, the state recorded a sporadic increase in cases of cholera in Balanga Local Government Area, “but because of the preparedness and prompt response, it has been largely subdued without escalation.”
Dr Shuaibu attributed the recent cholera outbreak to the increased downpour which resulted in flooding being experienced in many parts of the state.
“The Ministry of Health has promptly initiated public health actions for prevention and control of the cholera. As at September 20, 2022, there was an increase number of cases in the state as 236 cases have been recorded so far.
“The ministry had activated an incident management system for control of cholera at the Primary Health Emergency Centre (PHEC) in the state,” he said.
The executive secretary stated that the ministry had also established 13 cholera treatment units across the five affected LGAs for management of the recorded cases free of charge.
Shuaibu added that decontamination of affected wells and boreholes in affected communities would be carried out, “while sensitisation and distribution of water treatment tablets in all affected communities would be conducted.”
He called on residents to use clean water, prioritise the consumption of hygienically prepared meals, and urged residents to promptly report suspected cases to nearest healthcare centres.