AKEEM Adeoye, Head, Environmental Service Department, Oshodi-Isolo Local Government Authority, Lagos, on Monday cautioned residents of the area against indulging in acts capable of causing fire outbreak.
Adeoye gave the warning in a statement signed by the Council’s Media Officer, Mr Babatunde Dada.
He urged the residents to exercise utmost caution while handling electrical appliances and undertaking other domestic activities that require fire.
“The dry season is here, we must be careful in handling electrical appliances, connection and our burners at home.
“Fire outbreaks are common these days but it can be averted with the right mindset and behaviour, ” he said.
Adeoye said that residents should avoid storing highly inflammable substances such as petrol in their homes and offices.
He also urged them to acquire fire extinguishers in their homes and develop the right mindset to ensure a fire-free environment.
“The use of candles and cell phones within the apartment or in the kitchen should be avoided. We should also avoid using them at gas stations.
“Families and firms should train their staff and children on safety steps in the event of fire outbreak.
“We should form the habit of turning off power outlets when there is power outage,” he said. (NAN)
– Jan. 27, 2020 @ 12:59 GMT |