THE head of the Vatican Gendarmerie, Domenico Giani, has resigned after the leak of confidential information to the media, the Vatican press office said Monday.
“Although the Commander bears no personal responsibility in the unfolding of the events, Domenico Giani has tendered his resignation to the Holy Father out of love for the Church and faithfulness to Peter’s Successor,” a statement said.
Earlier this month, weekly l’Espresso and other Italian media published a Vatican police document, signed by Giani, indicating that five Vatican officials had been suspended from their jobs.
The five were said to have been the targets of a Vatican criminal investigation into irregular financial transactions conducted on behalf of the Vatican’s central administration, the Curia.
In its Monday statement, the Vatican press office condemned the leak as “prejudicial to the dignity of the people involved and to the image of the Gendarmerie.”
Giani, 57, had led the Vatican police for 20 years.
In an interview with Vatican media, Giani confirmed that the people mentioned in the leaked document are under investigation and have been hit with “an administrative measure.”
The pope was very disappointed that their identities were revealed, and “as Commander, even I felt ashamed for what has happened,” Giani said.
According to media reports, the probe concerns investments in luxury real estate in London and the use of money from the pope’s personal charity fund, called Peter’s Pence. (dpa/NAN)
– Oct 14, 2019 @ 15:45 GMT |