NNPC

Alexander Povetkin: Former world heavyweight champion retires

11 months ago | 58



Nexim
NCC
FORMER world heavyweight champion Alexander Povetkin says he is retiring from boxing because he needs time to fully recover from coronavirus. "I'm no longer young. I have decided to end my career," said the Russian, 41. Povetkin was WBC interim heavyweight champion until he was stopped by Briton Dillian Whytein a rematch in March. It was the third defeat of a career which yielded 36 wins, with the other losses to Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko. The fight had been postponed from November 2020 after Povetkin tested positive for Covid-19. Povetkin, who held the WBA title from 2011-13 and also won gold in the super-heavyweight class at the 2004 Olympics, said the illness had made it hard for him to train. "It will take a long time, and I am not 20 years old anymore," he told the Tass news agency. BBC Sport June 14, 2021 @ 12:24 GMT |
ExxonMobil

Readers Comments

0 comment

No comments yet. Be the first to post comment.

Related stories

Recommended for you...

From Twitter