By Val Obienyem
PETER Gregory Obi stands as a distinguished leader, widely recognized for his contributions to public policy, good governance, international business, 21st-century leadership, and human capital development. His successful tenures in top positions within the banking and financial sectors have earned him both domestic and international acclaim. Notably, he holds the record as the youngest Chairman of a highly successful bank and has played pivotal roles in numerous prosperous businesses.
Elected Governor of Anambra State in 2006, Obi implemented the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) as a cornerstone of state policy during his eight-year tenure. Under his leadership, the state achieved academic excellence at all levels. He successfully addressed challenges in male-child enrolment that persisted prior to his administration. An unprecedented achievement was leaving substantial savings in both Naira and Dollars—over 75 Billion Naira—for his successor, a rarity among his gubernatorial peers.
Highlighting his financial prowess, Darius Ishaku, the former Governor of Taraba State, recounted an instance where Willie Obiano, the former Governor of Anambra State, disclosed that a portion of the funds left by Peter Gregory Obi was utilized in the construction of the Anambra Airport. Notably, Obi maintained a clean record, avoiding any clashes with anti-corruption or security agencies regarding fund misappropriation throughout his involvement in both business and public service.
Currently, while actively engaged in politics with a focus on advocating for responsible leadership, national resource management, and human capital development, Obi dedicates significant efforts to nationwide and international advocacy for capacity building and sustainable development. Renowned as an entrepreneur with diverse interests, including support for health institutions, secondary schools and institutions of learning nationwide, Obi advocates strongly for reducing the overall overhead cost of maintaining public office holders in Nigeria.
Despite his endeavours, the political journey took a turn in 2019 when he contested for the Vice Presidency and, later in 2023, sought the Presidency on the Labour party platform. Although he successfully united Nigerians who endorsed him as a trusted and experienced politician, the outcome of the 2023 presidential election did not meet the minimum requirements. In his characteristic optimism, he has moved on urging Nigerians not to lose hope in their country, but to remain united against the common enemy – poor governance.
Educational Institutions Attended
Cambridge University, UK: George Business School (Advanced Leadership Programme)·;
● Institute for Management Development, Switzerland (Break-Thro, Prog for CEOs);
● Harvard Business School, Boston, U.S.A. (Mid to Mid Marketing);
● Harvard Business School, Boston, U.S.A. (Changing the Game);
● London School of Economics (Financial Mgmt/Business Policy);
● Columbia Business School, New York, U.S.A. (Marketing Mgmt);
● Institute for Management Development, Switzerland (Senior Executive Programme);
● Kellogg School of Management, USA (Kellogg Executive Scholar);
● Kellogg School of Management, U.S.A. (Corporate Governance);
● Kellogg School of Management, U.S.A. (Advanced Executive Programme);
● Kellogg School of Management U.S.A. (Global Advanced Mgt Programme);
● Oxford University, UK: Said Business School, (Advanced Mgt and Leadership Prog);
● INSEAD, France (Leading from the Chair);
● Lagos Business School, Nigeria (Chief Executive Programme);
● University of Nigeria, Nsukka (B.A. Philosophy);
● Christ the King College, Onitsha (W.A.S.C.)
Previous Positions Held:
● Chairman: Board of Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).
● Chairman: Fidelity Bank Plc.
● Chairman: Guardian Express Mortgage Bank, Ltd.
● Chairman: Future Views Securities, Ltd.
● Chairman: Next International (Nigeria) Ltd.
● Director: Guardian Express Bank Plc.
● Director: Chams Nigeria Plc.
● Director: Emerging Capital Ltd.
● Director: Card Centre Plc.
● Governor: Anambra State of Nigeria.
● Special Adviser to the President on Finance.
● Member, Presidential Economic Management Team.
● Vice-Chairman, Nigeria Governors’ Forum (2008-2014);
● Chairman, South-East Governors’ Forum (2006-2014).
Membership of Federal Government Committees
● Federal Government Committee on Minimum Wage.
● Federal Government Committee on Negotiation with Labour on Subsidy.
● Federal Government Committee on Mass Transit.
● Federal Government Committee on Natural Resource.
● National Economic Council Committee on Power Sector Reform.
● National Economic Council Committee on Sharing of MDGs Funds.
● National Economic Council Committee on Accurate Data on Nigeria’s Oil Import and Export.
● Agricultural Transformation Implementation Council.
● Sub-Committee on Needs Analysis of Public Universities in Nigeria.
● National Economic Council Review Committee on the Power Sector.
Some Awards & Recognitions
● 2020 Thisday Newspapers Governor of the Decade Award.
● Nigeria MDGs Office/UNDP Best Governor in the Implementation of the MDGs.
● 2015: Golden Jubilee Award from Catholic Diocese of Onitsha for outstanding contribution to quality healthcare delivery in St. Charles Borromeo Hospital in particular and Anambra State in general, on the occasion of the Golden Jubilee celebration of the hospital.
● 2014: Nigerian Library Association Golden Merit Award for remarkable improvement of libraries in Anambra State, exemplified by our Government’s construction of the Kenneth Dike Digital State Library, remarkable upgrade of the Onitsha Divisional Library, and provision of library facilities in secondary schools across the State.
● 2014: Champion Newspaper Most Outstanding Igbo Man of the Decade.
● 2014 The Voice Newspaper (Holland) Achievers Award for Outstanding Example in Leadership and Governance.
● 2013: Silver Bird Man of the Year (with Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State).
● 2012: Best Performing Governor on Immunization in South-East Nigeria – by Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
● 2011: Zik Leadership Prize;
● 2010: ICT Governor of the Year – by the West Africa ICT Development Award.
● 2009: Champion Newspaper Nigeria’s Most Trustworthy Governor Award.
● 2009: Thisday Newspaper Most Prudent Governor in Nigeria; and
● 2007: The Sun Newspaper Man of the Year Award.
Membership Of Professional Associations
· Member, Nigerian Economic Summit Group (NESG)
· Member, Nigerian Chartered Institute of Bankers
· Member, British Institute of Directors
Citation was written by Val. Obienyem
November 8, 2023 @ 6:05 GMT|