PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari has again hailed Goodluck Jonathan, his predecessor in office, for his efforts to ensure Nigeria remains a peaceful nation after conceding defeat in the last presidential election.
Speaking on Wednesday, February 3, during the European Union parliament’s plenary session in Strasbourg, France, President Buhari noted that Jonathan made history by conceding defeat after the March 28, 2015 election.
He said by that singular action, Jonathan did what no Nigerian leader had ever done since in the history of the country.
He said: “Democracy has come to Nigeria to stay, sooner than we expected, Nigeria will be regarded as one of the strongest in Africa.”
That notwithstanding, the president said that strife would arise in the process, but it would not go beyond what could be contained.
Speaking on the drama of the last presidential election, when Godsday Orubebe, a former minister, created a scene at the collation centre, Buhari averred that the maturity which the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, officials led by Attahiru Jega displayed helped Nigeria avert a major crisis.
President Buhari who noted that Nigeria’s problems are poverty, disease and technological backwardness, reiterated his administration’s commitment to ensuring that the missing Chibok secondary school girls are returned and reunited with their parents.
“The government will not rest until the girls are rescued alive and reunited to their parents,” Buhari said, adding:
“We have reorganised the Nigerian Armed Forces and repositioned them to deal decisively with the Boko Haram terrorists.
“Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states local government areas where the insurgents once dominated have been gradually recaptured.”
He assured his audience that the activities of Boko Haram had been restricted to Sambisa Forest.
— Feb 3, 2016 @ 14:40 GMT