THE former National Publicity Secretary to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Mr Olisa Metuh facing corruption allegation,has told the court that he cannot afford the sum of N1 billion to give former President Goodluck Jonathan to appear in court as his defence.
It will be recalled that Jonathan had earlier in an application, directed Metuh, to pay N1billion to cover his travel expenses and his escorts to appear as a witness in Metuh’s trial.
Speaking today at the continuation of his trial, Metuh said he does not have N1 billion to give Jonathan.
He said the amount demanded was meant to punish and frustrate his effort at obtaining evidence that will assist him in the defence of his case.
He added that the money he was arrested for which he is standing trial was authorised by the Former President and released by the former National Security Adviser at his prompting.
However, he said if the application is to save the nation from the embarrassment of docking a former President, it would have been aborted if the charge against Metuh was not preferred.
He therefore, said the application should be struck out.
– Nov 1, 2017 @ 17:26 GMT |