Despite incessant power outage in the country, Babatunde Fashola, minister of power, works and housing, insists that Nigerians are enjoying constant power supply under President Muhammadu Buhari led administration.
He noted that Nigerians had been spending less money on alternative power sources such as fuel for generators because the country’s power situation has improved.
Fashola, who stated this at the April 2018 edition of the monthly power sector operators’ meeting in Umuahia, Abia State, said: “We are on a journey to a destination of promise and eventual prosperity and I use this occasion to salute the efforts and contributions of all those who have brought us this far. Even those who were most vocal in condemnation when the situation appeared very dire are now uttering some muted acknowledgment that it has improved. We must continue to draw inspiration from well-meaning and right thinking Nigerians who were gracious enough to publicly acknowledge that they are saving some money from diesel they used to spend for generators; they are running their generators for fewer hours; and they are getting comparably more power than before.
“It is because of those gracious and well-meaning and right thinking Nigerians that we must dig deeper, work harder and be more determined to improve service delivery,” he said.
According to statistics from the advisory power team in the Office of the Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, Nigeria produced a total of 400,171 megawatts, MW, of electricity from January 1 to April 14, an average daily generation and distribution of 3,847.8MW.
The power sector also suffered an average daily financial loss of N1.209 billion in the same time frame, pooling up to N125.774 billion in total.
– Apr. 20, 2018 @ 16:15 GMT