South Africa’s High Court on Wednesday set aside the findings of an inquiry that found no evidence of corruption in an arms deal in the 1990s linked to former President Jacob Zuma.
Corruption campaigners have long denounced the inquiry set up by Zuma in 2011 and headed by Judge Willie Seriti as a “whitewash” and challenged its findings in court.
The High Court found the inquiry had failed to comprehensively examine corruption allegations over the deal to buy 30 billion rand (2 billion dollars) of European military hardware for the South African armed forces.
Zuma was linked to the deal through his former financial adviser, who was jailed for corruption, but denied wrongdoing.
The High Court found the Seriti inquiry had failed to test witnesses with an open and inquiring mind.
“This is hardly an investigation whose objective is to get to the bottom of the allegations,” Judge Dunstan Mlambo, said.
Charges against Zuma over the arms deal were reinstated in 2018, and Zuma has been in court on several occasions since, cementing a fall from grace for a politician, who had dominated politics for a decade.
Zuma’s successor, President Cyril Ramaphosa, has promised to crack down on corruption since becoming head of state in February 2018, but his room for maneuver has been limited by the influence that Zuma allies still wield in the governing African National Congress (ANC) party.
Zuma’s lawyers argued in court in May that the 77-year-old former president had been treated unfairly by prosecutors and sought a permanent stay of prosecution.
The case against Zuma and co-accused French arms company, Thales, has been postponed pending judgment on the stay of prosecution.
Thales has said it believed “it cannot obtain a fair trial” because of lengthy delays in the case. (NAN)
_AUG 21, 2019 @13:52 GMT |