GOVERNOR Willie Obiano of Anambra State has raised alarm over the sudden withdrawal of his security details, saying such action has exposed his life to danger.
Obiano who stated this on Tuesday, November 14, in Awka during an election stakeholders meeting organised by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, described the act as unacceptable and a dangerous signal on what was to happen ahead of the governorship election.
He demanded for the immediate return of the security details in order not to constitute further threats capable of overheating the polity.
“I want my security details returned immediately because I am going to start a fight from there. I am the governor of Anambra state and all the paraphernalia of my office must be there.
“This is unacceptable and a sign of what will happen. Those behind this would be disappointed because we are very ready for the election,” he said.
According to the governor, he had wanted to speak with the Inspector General of police who was scheduled to be at the occasion, but said he had to voice it out in the event since he was not aware when he would come.
The governor had earlier complained of having not been accorded recognition by the moderator when he worked in, despite several insistences.
But reacting, Mahmood Yakubu, the national chairman of INEC, said the event was a stakeholders’ meeting, and as such no candidate would be accorded any special treatment regardless of his position.
He said the commission insists on equal treatment of all candidates in the election and should not only have equal standing, but must be respected.
– Nov 14, 2017 @ 16:54 GMT |