5 people die of suffocation in central India- police

India police

POLICE on Wednesday said five people working at a brick kiln were killed and one hospitalised due to suffocation in central Indian.

The labourers died of asphyxiation after inhaling smoke at the brick kiln in the Mahasamund district, about 160 km east of Raipur, the capital city of Chhattisgarh.

“Today morning we came to know that six labourers were lying unconscious at a brick kiln.

“They were immediately removed to hospital, where five of them were declared dead on arrival and one worker is undergoing treatment.

“It seems the deaths are likely to have been caused due to inhaling smoke.”

Preliminary investigations carried out by police suggested the laborers had put mud bricks into the kiln for heating and slept atop it.

The bodies had been sent for post-mortem and the police have registered a case and ordered a probe into it.

Chief Minister of Chhattisgarh Bhupesh Baghel, expressed grief over the loss of lives in the accident and ordered the district administration to provide treatment to the injured labourer.

He also announced monetary relief for the families of the deceased workers. (Xinhua/NAN)