The Delta Commissioner for Technical Education, Mrs. Gbubemi Ikolo, has said that the ministry is proposing the sum of N5.2 billion for the 2021 fiscal year.
The commissioner stated this on Monday in Asaba during the 2021 Annual Budget Defence Meeting with the Delta State of Assembly House Committee on Education.
She said that out of the amount, 70 percent was earmarked for the balance payment of ongoing projects, while the remaining 30 percent was set aside for new projects.
Ikolo also said that N2 billion had been added to the initial N3.2 billion approved for the ministry, bringing the total amount for capital budget estimates to N5.2 billion
According to him, the additional figure was to cater to the payment of the ongoing construction of new model technical colleges.
On achievement of the ministry, Ikolo said that a revised budget of N3.3 billion was approved for the ministry in the outgoing year.
She also said that out of N13.5 billion approved for the construction of the nine new colleges, N4.6 billion was paid to contractors, leaving a balance of N8.9 billion.
Ikolo said some of the new colleges would be kicking off in the next academic session and that teachers would be engaged and trained in readiness for the task ahead.
The commissioner revealed that the ministry generated N2.3 million revenue during the fiscal year and that the overall budget performance was 79 percent.
She applauded Gov. Ifeanyi Okowa for his commitment and huge investment in technical education in the state.
According to him, the state government’s commitment to making technical colleges the pivot for skill development and acquisition was yielding results.
Responding, Chairman, House Committee on Education, Mr. Charles Emetulu, who represents Ndokwa West State Constituency, stressed the need for more oversight functions by the lawmakers, especially in the education sector.
He said the committee was optimistic that the government was on the right track in raising the bar in the standard of technical education in the state. (NAN)
– Nov. 9, 2020 @ 15:19 GMT |