Oshoala on BBC Award Shortlist

1
2
Oshoala

– 

ASISAT Oshoala, Nigeria’s Super Falcons and Liverpool Ladies player, was Sunday, April 26, nominated along with four other players for the inaugural BBC Women’s Footballer of the Year award. Oshoala, who emerged the Most Valuable Player of the FIFA Under-20 Women’s World Cup in Canada last year, and was also the MVP at the African Women’s Championship in Namibia won by the Super Falcons, is contesting for the award with Spain’s Veronica Boquete of Spain, Nadine Kessler of Germany, Kim Little of Scotland and Brazilian Marta.

The short list of the five nominees was drawn up by a panel of experts, including administrators, journalists, coaches and former players. Mary Hockaday, controller of the BBC World Service English, said: “The five shortlisted players represent the creme de la creme of female footballers from across the globe.”

According to the BBC World Service, the winner will be revealed on May 26, after being decided by a public vote.

“Voting is open now and closes on May 11, at 10:00 BST. Fans can vote online through the BBC website or by SMS,” the BBC website said.

To vote for BBC Women’s Footballer of the Year 2015 by SMS, text the number of the player you wish to vote for to +44 7786 20 20 04 Text 1 for Veronica Boquete, 2 for Nadine Kessler, 3 for Kim Little, 4 for Marta and 5 for Asisat Oshoala.

Djokovic Pulls Out of Madrid Open

Djokovic
Djokovic

NOVAK Djokovic, world number one tennis player, is not going to take part in Madrid Open champion tournament which holds from May 1 – 10. Djokovic’s decision was contained in a statement by the organisers which announced that the world number would like to rest before the Rome Masters, which starts May 16 and French Open on May 24.

A statement issued by the organisers read: “He’ll take time out before continuing with his planned calendar.”

It is the second consecutive year the Serb has pulled out of the tournament. Last year he withdrew because he sustained an arm injury.

However, Djokovic made history two weeks ago when he became the first man in the Open era to win the first three Masters tournaments of the season, having captured the titles at Indian Wells, Miami and Monte Carlo.

Djokovic, 27, who clinched the Australian Open trophy recently, has been in fine form this year, becoming the first man to win the opening three Masters events of the season.

He hopes to complete the career Grand Slam with a first title at the French Open, which starts on May 24.

Eto’o to Launch Fashion Line

Eto'o
Eto’o

AFTER setting up a mobile telephone company known as ‘Eto’o Telecom’ in his homeland, Samuel Eto’o, former Cameroon international is going to have his own fashion line. Eto’o is introducing premium collection shirts, caps and sneakers set for release internationally in a few weeks’ time.

Appearing under brand name ‘Samuel Eto’o 9’, the collection is mainly menswear, designed and manufactured in Turkey, where an experimental batch was released into the local market last February.

Commenting on the new initiative, Gabriel Pascal Nyemeg Nlend, a Cameroonian designer, who masterminds the project, said: “This project is recognition of Samuel Eto’o’s achievements in African football. Buying this stuff is like saying ‘thank you’ to him for the joy, pride and honour he has given to us as Africans through football. After the pitch and the stadium, we want Samuel Eto’o to accompany us to our homes, towns and villages by wearing his brand.”

Plans are underway to launch the brand in European countries such as Spain, Russia, Portugal and England, according to the designer.

Eto’o, 34, retired from the Indomitable Lions last year and now plies his trade at Sampdoria, an Italian club football club.

Super Eagles Begin Camping Soon, Keshi

Keshi
Keshi

STEPHEN Keshi, head coach of Nigerian Super Eagles, says he will start calling up national team players to a training camp in May in preparation for the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers.

The Nigerian tactician is keen to get an early start on assembling players because of his failed attempt to lead the Super Eagles, this year’s AFCON finals in Equatorial Guinea – a shortcoming which almost cost him his job.

And, with the AFCON 2017 qualifiers set to kick off in June with the first match against Chad in Abuja, Keshi, who was recently re-appointed as head coach, is hopeful of getting an early start on his preparations. “We need to start camping next month because time is not on our side again since the fixtures for the AFCON 2017 qualifiers have been released by CAF,” Keshi told Goal.com

He added: “We will definitely start off with the players based here in Nigeria and move on until the required time the overseas clubs can release our players for us.”

— May 11, 2015 @ 01:00 GMT

|

(Visited 9 times, 1 visits today)
Loading...

1 COMMENT

  1. announcmentannouncment announcment..the nigeria shortlist is out, we hereby inform all the candidate that their name is on the shortlist, should prepared for recruitment, and exame commence 0n the 3rd of octomber, and if you need asistant for the recruiting exame contact major general ADEBAYOR from the nigeria army on this number 08133823045 for asistant.delay is dangerious.goodluck

Comments are closed.