SERENA Williams, world number one woman tennis player, is not going to participate in the China Open in the WTA Finals in Singapore. Williams announced her decision to withdraw her participation in the two tournaments on Thursday, October 1, thereby ending her season.
“I am taking a proactive step and withdrawing from tournaments in Beijing and Singapore to properly address my health and take the time to heal,” she said in a statement.
The 21- time Grand Slam winner has not played since she lost in the semi finals of the US Open to Roberta Vinci, an Italian, in one of the most shocking upsets in tennis history.
“It’s no secret I’ve played injured most of the year — whether it was my elbow, my knee, or, in the finals moments after a certain match in Flushing, my heart,” Williams said.
Patrick Mouratoglou, Williams’ coach, told ESPN earlier in the week that she was intensely disappointed after missing out on a fifth consecutive Grand Slam crown and hinted that she might withdraw from the remaining tournaments of the season.
Organisers of the China Open, which holds between October 5 and 11, have confirmed Williams’ withdrawal, but the WTA was yet to acknowledge her withdrawal at press time.
— Oct 12, 2015 @ 01:00 GMT