GOVERNOR Rauf Aregbesola has threatened to sack striking doctors in Osun State from Monday, January 11. Argebesola gave the hint in Osogbo on Thursday, January 7, while speaking at the 75th birthday anniversary of Hassan Sunmonu, founding president of the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC.
The governor lamented that despite his efforts to persuade the doctors, who started the ongoing strike on September 28, 2015, they refused to back down. The governor, who expressed surprise at the doctors’ action, said: “We have decided to use the civil service rule. The Head of Service will implement that as from Monday. Head of Service, it is over to you.”
It was learnt that the government had already given the striking doctors the ultimatum to resume duty or face the sack. The extended ultimatum expired on Friday, January 8.
Earlier, Omolara Ajayi, permanent secretary of the Hospitals Management Board, in a press briefing, appealed to the doctors to resume work in the interest of the masses.
Ajayi said it was not wrong to fight for one’s rights but the doctors should consider the masses who could not afford to seek medical treatment at private hospitals.
Urging the doctors to reconsider the position, she said that “a life that is lost is lost forever.”
— Jan 18, 2016 @ 01:00 GMT